Federally Mandated – The United States Department of Transportation
SAFETY is the number one priority at the US Department of Transportation. On roads, rails, water, or in the air, over land, and underground, transportation safety-sensitive workers must be 100% drug and alcohol-free.
- FAA – Federal Aviation Association
- FMCSA – Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration [Click here for FMCSA Site]
- FRA – Federal Railroad Association
- FTA – Federal Transit Association
- USCG – United States Coast Guard
- HSS – Health and Human Services
Are you in Compliance with the Department of Transportation’s Office of Drug and Alcohol Policies?
The DOT has regulated industry drug and alcohol prevention programs across 5 DOT Agencies and the US Coast Guard. Through regulations, guidance, policies, safety inspections and audits, it is insured that over 800,000 employers, nearly 7 million safety-sensitive employees, and over 6,000 laboratory personnel, medical officers, substance abuse professionals, specimen collectors, and alcohol test technicians carry-out important drug and alcohol safety regulations.
FMCSA Compliance Education –
“Are YOU Mandated to be in a Consortium?” >> Visit the Office of Drug & Alcohol Policy & Compliance to review their guidance.
Before You Hire, Inc. provides guidance to businesses and individuals who operate commercial vehicles (large trucks or passenger-carrying vehicles) in interstates commerce to help them determine whether they must comply with Federal Motor Carrier Safety Regulations. Before You Hire, Inc. only employs DOT certified technicians and uses a SAMHSA laboratory/MRO. Below are a few items that we handle from top to bottom:
- Must be registered in the Drug & Alcohol Clearinghouse [new as of January 2020] To learn more: https://clearinghouse.fmcsa.dot.gov/Learn
- Pre-Employment Query processed within the Clearinghouse
- Must have a pre-employment DOT Drug Test
- Must have a random program established – testing 50% drug/10% alcohol annually. If owner-operator, you must belong to a random consortium/pool
- Annual Requirements: MVR and Query
- Must keep your medical card (physical) updated as determined by a Medical Examiner on the DOT National Registry
FOR AN OVERVIEW OF DOT DRUG TESTING REGULATIONS –
CLICK HERE: 49 CFR PART 40